Generac has a pretty cool device that really needs to get emulated in the
solar industry called the smart management module.  It's a standalone smart
relay that can be programmed via dip switches to do just this, bring
devices on line in stages and drop them if the generator is getting
overloaded.  I believe it works from frequency dip but Im not sure.  The
nice thing about it is that it does not require any signal wiring from
generator or ATS to do this, its just monitoring line voltage.  This is
really designed for grid/generator application but it would be really
helpful for applications like this.  Maybe you could use a home automation
system to do this?  Sonnen used to do this via Z-wave (I think) but I don't
know the details of this.

On Wed, Sep 11, 2019 at 8:11 PM Jay <jay.pe...@gmail.com> wrote:

> You’ve got to plan on them all starting at once anyway. You can’t expect
> that it’ll never happen.
>
> And really how do you prevent it. The refrigerators and AC’s are on all
> the time waiting for the thermostat to activate.  And it’s not good to turn
> a working fridge on/off especially is the compressor is running.
>
> Bigger loads, bigger inverters, bigger dollars.
>
> Jay
>

> On Sep 11, 2019, at 4:24 PM, Jason Szumlanski <
> ja...@floridasolardesigngroup.com> wrote:
>
> That is what I was thinking, but how will the contactor coils "know" when
> the ATS switches to inverter power. I'm thinking I need to use an AUX relay
> or a series of relays to produce the desired result. I don't think it will
> be necessary when going from solar to generator in this case, but maybe. I
> guess the question is how to activate the time delay any time the ATS
> switches over. That would be the easiest solution maybe.
>
> I'm probably looking at a quad Conext XW+ system here. Even at over 100A @
> 240V continuous rating I'm anticipating some startup issues with all those
> motors (I forgot to mention well and pressure pumps also!)
>
> Jason
>

> On Wed, Sep 11, 2019 at 5:50 PM Michael Morningstar <
> mjmornings...@gmail.com> wrote:
>
>> Put the loads on contractors, control the contractors with adjustable
>> time delay relays. Stagger the timing.
>>
>> On Sep 11, 2019, at 2:41 PM, Jason Szumlanski <
>> ja...@floridasolardesigngroup.com> wrote:
>>
>> In an off-grid situation I'm looking for a strategy to manage transfer
>> from generator power to inverter power because I have a lot of high startup
>> load appliances planned for a system. Think 8 mini-refrigerators, one sub-z
>> large refrigerator, and an under-cabinet ice maker, not to mention air
>> conditioning. I would like to start these loads in stages if they all call
>> to start up immediately upon system startup or during ATS switch over. Any
>> ideas?
>>
>> I guess while I'm on the subject I should ask about my eye-roll,
>> keep-me-up-a-night, giving-me-heartburn problem with this ice maker. It's
>> going to be outdoors in Florida and they expect it to make 25-50 pounds of
>> ice per day. I am finding it really hard to estimate energy use for this
>> appliance. Any ideas (other than the obvious "don't do it" answer)?
>>

>> Jason Szumlanski
>> Florida Solar Design Group

>> List Address: RE-wrenches@lists.re-wrenches.org

>> List rules & etiquette:
>> www.re-wrenches.org/etiquette.htm
>>
>> Check out or update participant bios:
>> www.members.re-wrenches.org

>> List Address: RE-wrenches@lists.re-wrenches.org

>> List rules & etiquette:
>> www.re-wrenches.org/etiquette.htm
>>
>> Check out or update participant bios:
>> www.members.re-wrenches.org

> List Address: RE-wrenches@lists.re-wrenches.org

> List rules & etiquette:

> List Address: RE-wrenches@lists.re-wrenches.org

> [...]

Mac Lewis

*"Yo solo sé que no sé nada." -Sócrates*