The PV system (and 690.12) stop at the PV Disconnect. (see figure 690.1(b), Note (2)).  Charge Controllers are part of the Energy Storage system (706) now.  We presented this in our plan sets, and we drew clear lines on the wiring diagram showing which articles applied to which parts of the system.  The AHJs have not challenged us on this. However, they pulled a bunch of other stuff out, for instance that 705 still applies to off grid....

I still have not seen a good presentation anywhere on applying NEC 2017 to off grid, outside of the RE Wrenches list.  Everyone is still figuring this all out for off grid after all the changes in 2017.  Can't wait to see what 2020 looks like....

Ray Walters
Remote Solar
303 505-8760