Hi wrenches,

I have a site visit coming up on a hydro system, I believe its ~ 20 kW
range, and an older unit, 30+ years old.  This info may or may not be
reliable until I see the site.  However, I'd like some options to consider
while I'm looking at their system.  My hydro knowledge is weak but I enjoy
it.

They experience browning out when certain loads kick on.  I assume they
have checked the diversion load controller(s) to see if its dropping and
adding loads as it should.  I also assume that they have checked the rotor
assembly, brushes etc and they are in good working order.

The first thing I'll do is call the manufacturer and see if they have any
ideas, but I'm sure they will recommend a new turbine/generator assembly
with better voltage regulation.

I am wondering if there is any type of inverter can operate in parallel
with the hydro output that can inject current (maybe VARS as well) onto the
AC buss to help stabilize AC voltage and frequency during these events.  It
seems like the new smart inverters can do this but I have no experience
with this.  Maybe the Sunny Island?

Im just starting to research this but I always appreciate your input.

Thanks

--

Mac Lewis

*"Yo solo sé que no sé nada." -Sócrates*