Mark:

I do not think line voltage is an appropriate criteria for controlling an
AC coupled system for these reasons:

1.       My understanding of how an AC coupled system works does not match
yours.  The concept is still black magic to me, but as I understand it,
when you use GT inverters to charge batteries through a battery inverter,
there is no charge control.  This is the essence of this problem.  The
batteries will over-charge if you do not intervene.  Remember, in an AC
coupled system you are charging batteries by running power *into* the
*output* of the battery inverter, or backwards to the normal power flow.  I
understand this is why the normal charge control system does not work.

2.       If the battery charging does not stop, there can be no cause and
effect that will cause line voltage to rise.

3.       Even if 2 above were not true, batteries, as they approach full
charge, taper their use of charging source, so you cannot expect any
significant change in charge current when charging stops.

4.       There are too many other factors that can affect line voltage.  If
you set some circuit to do something when live voltage changes beyond a
certain thresholds, this trigger will happen randomly as line voltage
changes for external reasons.

I hate to break the news, but you need to find some way to communicate the
battery voltage to the GT inverter output.  You don’t have to run the GT
inverter AC output all the way to the battery inverter panel, but you will
need to get a control signal connection between the two systems.

Caveat:  I don’t pretend to know thoroughly about how AC coupled systems
work, but this is how I understand them.  Maybe others can verify my
conclusions.

William

Miller Solar

17395 Oak Road, Atascadero, CA 93422