Colleagues:

In a recent post about some AC GFI tripping problems, I mentioned I am
measuring some high THD readings in certain scenarios—the highest being
when the generator is charging at high percentages:

Inverter only: 2.5% THD

Gen Max: 19% THD

Gen 5 Amps: 8% THD

I measured the THD using a Fluke VR1710 <TJ3fTpspG2DGCzC>.  This is a handy
little gizmo and pretty expensive considering its size.  The device has
limitations:

1.   It is cord connected.

2.   Results cannot be viewed in real-time.

3.   It measures voltage parameters only.

Here are my questions:

1.   Has anyone here had to consider problems with high THD in any off-grid
scenarios?

2.   What readings are normal?

3.   What is the significance of voltage harmonics versus current harmonics?

4.   What instruments are you using to measure THD?

5.   Has anyone seen high THD causing AC GFI tripping?

6.   What other symptoms might occur with high THD?

Tip: The reason we first started suspecting high THD is that cheap
voltmeters registered abnormally high (including the onboard Radian
metering) during periods of high THD, while true RMS meters (Fluke 87)
continued to measure normal AC voltages.  If you experience this situation,
high THD is suspect.

Answers are always gratefully appreciated.

William Miller

PS:  If you are receiving a BCC of this email, it is because you are part
of the team working on this problem.  The message is directed to an
industry forum in hopes of gleaning additional knowledge.  I will share any
results I receive.

Wm

Miller Solar

17395 Oak Road, Atascadero, CA 93422