My understanding is anything over 5% THD is getting to be a problem.  I've measured that high on grid here before.  Do you have any idea what harmonics this distortion is at?  Have you looked at it on an O scope?  What generator is this?  I've seen portable generators with terrible wave forms under load.  They have a front end spike on the waveform, and then they flatten out under load.  Anything that isn't a pure sine wave is distortion.

Have you checked the peak of the wave form?  I've seen generators under load, flatten to 135 v peak, which is really not even a sine wave anymore.  Very poor performance, most AC electronics do not like a DCish wave form.

Also, I have a Seaward meter that does THD, its a little clunky to navigate, but it gives real time readings, is battery powered, and can break out the separate harmonics too.  The harmonics just give you an idea at what frequency the distortion is at, which "might" let you figure out what is causing problems.  I don't know enough about AC GFI electronics to know what effect THD would have, but 19% THD is total trash, and all bets are off; it could damage all sorts of other equipment too.

I think you've already done all that needs to be done: They need a better generator.

Ray Walters
Remote Solar
303 505-8760