I've installed a few FM 100s.  Seem to work fine, and nice to wire arrays 6 in series, but we do have to use the higher voltage rated breakers on the PV side.  We have had them mixed with other controllers and haven't had problems, but we do Not use the HUB or ever interconnect them.   We've found by not interconnecting the controllers that we have redundancy, and any single controller (or Comm) failure is not going to take the entire charging system down.

It has no onboard screen, so you need the Mate 3 to program them. We pull the Mate 3 after programming and just keep it on the truck to save customers the $600.00.  They can buy one later, if they decide they want to tweak settings all the time. (not happened yet.)

We always use 100 amp DC breakers that are 100% duty cycle rated.  ON the battery side, the regular Midnite or Outback type 150 vdc work fine.

On AFCI, I believe it can be set to "off" in the programming, but I'm not in front of one right now, so that's just based on my failing memory bank.  However, I too do not like GFCI and AFCI for ground mounts unless mandated.   I've seen all sorts of weird issues even on the AC side of the system end up tripping the charge controller off.  In the case of the FM100, the GFCI is accomplished with a fuse, which are hard to come by locally.

Ray Walters
Remote Solar
303 505-8760