I tried a rail-less system on a roof mount once, but never again. It worked
roughly as advertised, but the problem was aesthetic. It was a bear trying to
get the modules parallel and flat. Too many degrees of freedom and no roof is
as flat as you’d wish. With rails at least the modules are lined up in one
plane.

I’ve seen a few no rail installations on raised seam roofing and noticed the
“diving board” problem. The width of the modules never corresponds exactly with
the seam spacing. Some modules end up hanging out over the last mounting points
a bit too much.

Also, in terms of safety, rails spread out the load over multiple mounting
points, so no one point takes an extreme load and the failure of any one point
isn’t immediately fatal.

Rails, yes.

Hilton Dier III
Renewable Energy Design