I looked up on the eaton site and found this information.  Page 6, its a
temperature derate curve, which I think is your problem.

In short, at 160F, for a slow blow fuse it is derated 20%.
At 176f its  25% derated.

I couldn’t find any fuses that have a high temp rating.

jay

https://m.littelfuse.com/~/media/electrical/application-notes/powr-gard-technical-application-guide.pdf

> [...]
>
> From my experience with reflective roofs galvanized quickly ages becoming
> less reflective! White is best aluminum paint next.
> Ken Schaal
> CommonWealth Solar
>
> On Thu, Nov 19, 2020, 9:17 AM frenergy <frene...@psln.com
> <mailto:frene...@psln.com>> wrote:
>             This is a very timely discussion for us also as we have many
> Midnight MNPV6 discos in the sun.  Though we're careful about tightening wire
> landings, using contact cleaner for the fuses and fuse holders, some installs
> seem to get hotter than others.  We just started making a very simple sheet
> metal heat shield of sorts spaced away from the face of the disco for
> ventilation which keeps direct sun off the "face" of the disco.  We don't
> paint this shield to give the galvanized surface a chance to reflect the IR.
>
>             Its a retro which we've covered the cost for to prevent callbacks
> for blown (cooked?) fuses. I haven't done any before and after temp checks
> but I know from a long history of this kind of work that temps inside that
> disco will be substantially lower. They haven't been out in the field long
> enough to get any data.
>
> Bill
>
> Feather River Solar Electric
> Bill Battagin, Owner
> 4291 Nelson St.
> Taylorsville, CA 95983
> 530.284.7849
> CA Lic 874049
> www.frenergy.net <http://www.frenergy.net/>
> On 11/18/2020 5:13 PM, Ray wrote:
>> What is the brand and model of the disconnect? Temp ratings of the
>> terminals?  I've definitely had fuse holders not make good contact with the
>> fuses and burn the fuses at one end, instead of in the middle.  Have you
>> looked at it with a Thermal imaging camera when its operating to see if its
>> hot on one end of the fuse?
>>
>> Second, depending on the temperature it would be hitting inside the
>> enclosure in the sun, you could be exceeding the rating of the #6 conductor.
>>  Assuming terminals rated at 75C, then from 310.16, a #6 is rated 65 A, but
>> derate for temperature of 114F inside the enclosure gets you to .82 x 65 =
>> 53.3, which is a bit less than the 54.45 that Dave just calculated for
>> continuous duty.
>>
>> What color is the disconnect painted?  any chance of painting it white?
>>
>> Ray Walters
>> Remote Solar
>> 303 505-8760
>> On 11/18/20 4:16 PM, Dave Tedeyan wrote:
>>> Jason,
>>> Bright sunny days, disconnect on the west side of house, maybe in the sun?
>>> 43.56A * 1.25 for continuous duty = 54.45A. If these disconnects are also
>>> baking in the sun, maybe the extra ambient heat is enough to push it over
>>> the edge? Just a thought.
>>> Cheers,
>>> Dave
>>>
>>> Dave Tedeyan, PE
>>> Senior Engineer | Taitem Engineering, PC
>>>
>>> 110 South Albany Street | Ithaca, NY 14850
>>> o. 607.277.1118 x121  f. 607.277.2119