I am providing consulting services to a school district in Southern California, and I came up with an issue regarding the placement of inverters.

These are PV arrays are "solar carports" and the inverters (usually 60 kW-class) are mounted on columns. The advice I have given the School District is to stipulate in the contract with the EPC company that these inverters should be "placed as high as practical" on the columns. Their counter-offer was to cite a section of the NEC 2017 that places a minimum height above grade (parking lot asphalt).

But they have failed to do so, as of this morning.

I remember that the NEC code distinguished between secure locations (e.g. switch gear in a closet under lock and key) and locations accessible to the general public.

My case would be the latter. The above photo shows placement lower than "practical" IMHO.

Any help with a citation in the 12017 NEC Handbook would be appreciated.

- Peter

Peter T. Parrish, Ph.D.
President, California Solar Engineering
1107 Fair Oaks Blvd Ste. 351