William, good morning. I live off grid w/ these things please feel free to
contact me off list.
Without knowing your familiarity w/ the SMASI, I may be repeating things you
already know.
Anytime the SOC is above 70% your frequency is shifted to reduce array input,
(German engineers) so this is probably the most frustrating issues w/ the SIs.
Beautiful sunny day at 73% little recharge, next day cloudy for a week starting
w/ a BB that isn’t fully charged, customers & installers don’t like this too
much.

First; Anytime there is a generator fault one needs to clear that fault. This
is found menu 540/2“Gen Ackn”. Also check that the gen in 540 01 is set to
“auto”, if not then check menu 235/01 “Generator Start" default is “on". Menu #
235/02 “ Gn autoStr”, I will always increase the # of start attempts usually to
5or 6, default is 3.
If the generator is running, charging batteries while there is good production
from the array you will get “reverse current” if this happens, it will disable
charging from genset which needs to be reset also in Menu 540/02. One can also
In Menu "Generator control" 234 /13 GnRVPwr, Try setting this up to 150W
Bottom line, off grid living that 500 menu is my go to for both my clients that
have these things & myself. Clearing gen faults, Menu 520/01 to start battery
EQing. Fla batteries, one can set voltage set points higher than the Bulk set
point, but this leads to additional watering. For AGMs I will set this to my
absorb voltage setpoints. If one uses this menu while its sunny this will
prevent the Frequency shift and you will usually get a decent charge from the
array. I usually do this once a week or so this time of year.
This system has worked well in the past, sounds like the generator starter
battery was the fault issue that cascaded into additional issues.
I use a Victron BVM712 that enables me to watch the “House BB voltage” AND
monitor the "generator starter BV". You can also remotely actuate the relay for
alarms etc.
Tump