Jay; The fuzzy definition of "small" in most customer's minds makes it hard
to answer the question.
I absolutely recommend anything by Bergey, but their "smallest" is 10kW,
well within the industry definition of small, but pretty huge and expensive
for the typical off-grid residential home.

I would feel fairly comfortable with turbines certified by the Small Wind
Certification Council (https://smallwindcertification.org/) but they don't
gather long-term reliability data. There's a 5kW turbine listed that I
hadn't heard of before, and the Skystream 3.7kW (which was bought by a
different company than the Whisper series.) The SWWP Whispers were decent
machines, but I'm not sure why they are not listed there by the new company
owner. For remote off-grid situations without AHJ issues, lots of folks
have had good results with Hugh Piggott-style turbines, and there are
people out there that make and install them well. But they are not a
commercial product, not UL listed or AHJ-friendly, etc.,

I don't know anything about the Hurricane turbines that Dan Lepinski
mentions in this thread, but certainly worth checking out. And maybe dive a
little deeper into what's up with the Whispers under their new owner.

Rohn towers are a great solution, but as Dan L mentions they are not
tilt-up.

Dan Fink
Owner, Buckville Energy Consulting LLC
IREC Certified Instructor for PV and Small Wind Installation
NABCEP Certified PV System Inspector
NABCEP PV Associate
d <dan.f...@greendustrialtraining.com>anbo...@gmail.com
970-672-4342