This may not be a good idea if you want to retain rapid shutdown compliance…

-Glenn

From: RE-wrenches <re-wrenches-boun...@lists.re-wrenches.org> On Behalf Of Jeff
Clearwater
Sent: Tuesday, May 04, 2021 12:20 PM
To: RE-wrenches <re-wrenches@lists.re-wrenches.org>; Dave Tedeyan
<d...@sungineersolar.com>
Subject: Re: [RE-wrenches] Generator and AC coupling on a Sol-Ark

Hi Dave ~

Well this might not be the answer you are looking for but I'd take a serious
look at the relative hassle of rewiring the array to DC.  Sol-Ark's shine in DC
coupled mode - highly efficient - and then you have the generator port open
(now not used for AC coupling) available for the generator.   Depending on how
accessible the MC4s are on the array and how easy to run DC wire it might not
be that much work - with a much superior result.

Best,

Jeff

--
~~~~~~~~~~~

Jeff Clearwater
Village Power Design
linkedin <https://www.linkedin.com/in/jeff-clearwater-0622a312/>
www.villagepowerdesign.com <http://www.villagepowerdesign.com>
cell - 413-559-9763
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Dave Tedeyan <mailto:d...@sungineersolar.com>

May 3, 2021 at 7:26 AM

Hi All,

I am planning on using a Sol-Ark for the first time for adding battery backup
to an existing system. It is Enphase, so clearly it will be AC coupled, and
there is a whole house generator. When I talked to Sol-Ark about it, they
recommended putting the generator on a time of use schedule to not allow it to
come on during the day so that we don't run into the issue of the solar
backfeeding the generator.

I was wondering though if anyone has just used a contactor to cut out the solar
when the generator turns on? Something like Outback's GS-AC-Gen-Kit, although
in this case I will need something rated for just over 30A. This seems like a
better way to allow the generator to run at any time it is needed, especially
if it is a gloomy, snowy, winter day.

Cheers,

Dave

--