That's a tough call without monitoring, and the difference will be huge
depending on SEER rating, insulation, usage habits, and location. You
really have to consider worst case, not averages.

For example, at home I have an older 5-ton, 13 SEER in SW Florida, one of
the most challenging areas in the country (high humidity and heat). My
annual average is 22kWh per day. We keep the air on 75F generally. However,
my average is 40kWh per day in August!

When running it draws just under 3kW.

A new multi speed scroll compressor unit with high SEER would probably cut
my usage by 40% based on anecdotal information I've gathered over the
years. It would also drastically reduce startup surge. My home is also
older with poor windows and doors, so a newer home would have much
different performance.

I have a client with a similarly sized house to mine that was built with
efficiency in mind and they consume about half of my electricity
consumption.

It's a tough design question for sure without data. I don't like these
situations. In my opinion you really need to overshoot, especially on the
battery capacity if it will be hard to add later. Obviously that gets
expensive.

Jason Szumlanski
Florida Solar Design Group