Never had a ground mount leak!  Fire season and the people who fight
them are big fans of not using a roof!

Dave Angelini Offgrid Solar
"we
go where powerlines don't"
http://members.sti.net/offgridsolar/ [1]
e-mail
offgridso...@sti.net [2]
text 209 813 0060

On Wed, 18 Aug 2021 14:38:50
-0700, August Goers  wrote:  Hi All - William makes some really good points
- the underlayment can be a big problem on tile roofs. We have a (nearly)
squeaky clean track record with roof leaks, but have had one nightmare of a
problem on an old tile roof where the felt underlayment was failing and
leaking essentially all over the place, especially around existing
skylights. Just having our crews up on the roof walking on the tiles
appeared to have disturbed the felt enough to trigger leaks. It is
definitely safest to involve a roofer to take everything off and start
fresh on a tile roof. Waterproofing with a roofer can be done by either
adding comp shingle under the arrays (especially good choice for large
rectangular arrays) or they can waterproof the tiles with a flashing system
and standard cylindrical solar posts.   Don't work on tile roofs over 10
years old without involving a roofer to at least check the condition. If
the roof is relatively new, we have found that the tile replacement mounts
are the best bet. Pegasus is another brand besides Iron Ridge (formerly
Quickmount) that makes tile replacement mounts. Definitely don't get
involved in natural clay tile or slate roofing without a roofer!   I
frequently talk with installers who work in parts of California with newer
housing stock where concrete tiles are very common and they install some
sort of J-hook product. I fear that they have lots of leaks in their
future, only time will tell.   August Luminalt

  On Wed, Aug 18,
2021 at 2:00 PM jay  wrote:  HI mac,   One issue is if the roof is rated
for added weight of the solar in addition to the tile.   If its not, then
one technique is to remove the tiles, install some other roofing material
such as composition shingles and then install the solar over that. Often
you can reinsert the tiles at the edges so it looks normal.   Oh and if
they are low fired clay tile, they can break just walking on them.   Lots
of good mounting brackets out there   jay   peltz power

  On Aug