Having been in the solar biz since 1988 I can, but will not make a list of
products that have come & gone;  products that have been Guinea pigged on all
of us, promises that have been made & not kept, equipment that has caught fire
& individuals that have made unrealistic promises to clients that have really
damaged the reputations of the balance of those of us who are trying to build a
reliable & reputable reputations in a still growing now teen aged industry.

That said I have held back on installing new product introductions & still do
on say micro inverters: they get really hot & really cold & the long term
reliability of a product that suffers that will suffer in the long run. I do
not know of many 5-8 year old micro inverter systems that have not had at least
some inverter components replaced. I remember the first micro inverter training
class that I attended & the presenter kept using the term mean time to failure,
& I questioned this term. The response was that the components used in similar
situations should allow for a similar life span. I had this discussion today
with a friend who has a unobstructed south facing roof with no shading, with a
micro inverter system that is looking at expanding & wanted more micro
inverters because he felt the information on what every inverter/module pair
was doing was important. I asked him but what fails? The answer was: Not the
Module but the inverter that was the weak link. So why use a micro invert in
his application?

String inverters? Less so but I have seen failure rashes of at least 1 Manu
that have surfaced I have had to address multiple similar sized units
replacement, at least I was standing on the ground to repair.

New products for offgrid & grid tie continue to come online regularly. Today at
least UL/ETL type testing awards some level of reliability & takes some of the
concern out for us as installers.

At this point you are wondering where the heck is I am going with this rant?

*       How many companies have really followed thru with their promises?
*       How many companies products really last as promised?
*       How many companies have available, accurate, & prompt/timely customer
tech service?
*       How many companies get the replacement components out the door promptly?

I really try to support manufacturers, wholesalers, & companies that meet these
criteria.

Dana Orzel -  E - d...@solarwork.com -  C - 208.721.7003