> > > I dislike the name "modern-expressions"
>
> Can you propose some alternative names?

It was my understanding that "modern-expressions" was the name of the rule
that transformed the standard s-expr

(function arg1 arg2 arg3)

into the sweet-expression form

function(arg1 arg2 arg3)

It is this naming convention that rubs me the wrong way; which is why I'd
call these "functional expressions" instead of "modern expressions".  I do
not recall *exactly* how functional notation came to be, but I suspect that
Leonhard Euler probably did a lot to standardise the notation into what it
is today.  (Euler seemed to do pretty much *everything*, though.)

One problem I see is that one-letter names (like "c-expressions" for curly
> infix, "m-expressions" for modern expressions, and "t-expressions" for
> sweet expressions) don't really have the same "punch".

I would expect that the entire project could still be called
"sweet-expressions"; the purpose of the one-letter name is for
convenience.  Indeed, I wouldn't refer to something as a "t-expression",
any more than I would something an "s-expression"--I'd sooner use the
abbreviations "t-expr" and "s-expr".  Technically, in my mind at least,
"t-expr" is short for "tree-expression", which is convenient if you want to
emphasise that the data structures we are dealing with are trees.
(Technically, s-exprs are "tree-expressions", too, but that shouldn't
matter in the naming convention, because one of the goals of the project is
to make sure that any "s-expr" is also a valid "t-expr"--so s-exprs *ought*
to be valid t-exprs!)

Referring to "modern-expressions" as "m-exprs" would be problematic,
because this name is already spoken for; we'd have to refer to them as
"f-exprs".  But then, I wasn't thinking in terms of naming different
expressions according to the rules they used; I just expected each of the
types to be different rules describing "t-exprs".

Come to think of it, to what extent are we working on the problem that
McCarthy started with, to produce "m-exprs"?  I'm inclined to think that
we're *sort-of* working towards that, but not really--after all, our goal
is to create a system of s-exprs, just with a different expressional syntax.