Alpheus Madsen:

> I have an odd suggestion for a naming convention for these things:  call them
> "texprs", with submodules "curly-texprs", "whitespace-texprs", and
> "function-texprs".  (I dislike the name "modern-expressions" because standard
> functional notation is rather old, which is what makes it seem so natural.)

Ah!  Weird as it may seem, I saw this message out-of-order, so I didn't know
where the "texpr" came from in the later reply (I figured it was some private
email).

> There are several reasons why I want to call these things "t-exprs".

> First, "t" comes after "s" in the alphabet, so it seems natural to call an
> augmentation, and potentially a second-generation, of s-exprs "t-exprs"....

Fair enough.

> Second, I'd like to create a "cleaned up" version of Common Lisp someday,
> starting with "t-exprs"; I'd like to call the language "Treehouse" to give it
> an interesting name, and to emphasise the fact that its basic data structure
> is trees, made out of lists.  (The motivation behind this is the article "The
> Nature of Lisp", http://www.defmacro.org/ramblings/lisp.html, as well as a
> desire to find a "hip" name for the language--everyone likes treehouses!)

> Third, "s-exprs" is short for "symbolic expressions"; "m-exprs" is short for
> "meta expressions"; when we call these things "sweet-expressions", what's an
> appropriate abbreviation?  Perhaps "sw-exprs" would do, or just "w-exprs", or
> even "t-exprs" for "sweeT-EXPRessions".  I don't know how many times I wish I
> could have said "t-exprs" instead of "sweet-expressions" in an e-mail.

> As an observation, since the goal is for these things to be readable, it
> wouldn't hurt to call them "r-exprs", short for "readable expressions"; this
> last name would also fit nicely in the alphabet scheme, even though "R" comes
> before "S".  (And yes, that has a lot of tradition in mathematics, as
> well--usually when you run out of letters.)  Having said that, I'm still
> partial to the term "t-exprs".

I'll have to think about this.   We need names for:
* The *set* of notations (currently "readable" notations)
* Each of the three tiers (currently curly infix, modern expressions, sweet
expressions).

One problem I see is that one-letter names (like "c-expressions" for curly
infix, "m-expressions" for modern expressions, and "t-expressions" for sweet
expressions) don't really have the same "punch".  I like the word "modern"
expressions because who wants to AVOID doing things the "modern" way?  And
wouldn't you want to use a "sweet" notation?  Just letters don't do that.

But that doesn't mean we shouldn't do it.  What names would you propose for all
4 cases, and why?

--- David A. Wheeler