On 2/20/13, David A. Wheeler <dwhee...@dwheeler.com> wrote:
>> > [I'm asking this because if it's 'fixed, my
>> > closing-SUBLIST-by-unmatched-dedent would allow:
>> >
>> > let $
>> > ! ! x $ compute 'x
>> > ! ! y $ compute 'y
>> > ! body...
>> > ]
>
> I have a *lot* of concerns with that particular construct.

Why?  Compare:

let
! \\
! ! x $ compute 'x
! ! y $ compute 'y
! use x y

to:

let $
! ! x $ compute 'x
! ! y $ compute 'y
! use x y

Basically, Beni's formulation extends our "monotonically increasing
indentation = SUBLIST" theorem, by allowing any subsequence of
monotonically increasing indentation to be compressed using SUBLIST.
The above cannot be compressed further since the x line is followed by
a line on the same indent, and is thus no longer monotonically
increasing.

So:

foo
  bar
    quux
      quuux
  yod
    zod
      wod
<==>
foo $ bar
    quux
      quuux
  yod $ zod $ wod

Since the indent of "bar" is where the indentation stops monotonically
increasing, that is the extent to which SUBLIST can be used to
compress the indentation (hence "foo $ bar").

Sincerely,
AmkG