I said:
> > I have a *lot* of concerns with that particular construct.

Alan Manuel Gloria:
> Why?  Compare:

It's not "must never happen", but I have a lot of concerns.  Here are ones that
come to mind:

1. It really complicates explanation and implementation of "$".  Some people
require a second explanation now, and "$" is really simple. Adding this
capability to "$" makes it much more complicated to describe.  Every time we
add a complication, we risk losing some potential users and implementers.

2. I'm not sure that there's enough *value* to adding it.  There *ARE* use
cases, and these use cases are definitely common enough to discuss doing
something special with them.  But I worry that the contravening downsides will
overwhelm it.  Currently, in certain cases we have to add "\\"-only lines;
that's not really a hardship, especially since the resulting constructs are
pretty easy to understand.

3. It can be viewed as complicating the reading of code that uses it.  Up to
this point, a dedent always ended the whole line above; now it can end it a
part.  Perhaps the reduction in line count is fair compensation; that's not
clear to me.

4. There's already a body of material on how to handle indentation-based
languages, which tend to follow Python approaches and specifically do NOT
differentiate between "indent 3 spaces" and "indent 1 space", just INDENT.  We
leave better-understood parsing theory if we do this.  I want to have it easily
implemented, with many reasons to be *confident* it is well-designed... the
more we leave established theory, the harder it is to do that.

Let me speak to the last point.  If we *did* go this way (and I'm dubious right
now), we need to make sure that this construct is clearly and unambiguously
defined as part of some well-checked BNF grammar.  Turning every space into an
INDENT, and reduced space into a DEDENT, seems to make this much worse.   I
don't know of anyone who handles indent/dedent processing this way; people
normally tokenize indentation to make parsing easier.  I want to stick to
better-understood ground where we can, so we avoid any surprise disasters.

So if we went this way, I suspect it would be better to model this by adding a
new indentation token, DEDENT_PARTIAL, in addition to DEDENT.  A DEDENT undents
back to the previous parent level; a DEDENT_PARTIAL undents back to something
consistent with the parent and the current indent, but is (strictly) between
them.  The indent parser would have to change to generate a DEDENT_PARTIAL, and
the BNF would have to change to support DEDENT_PARTIAL.  That way, we at least
continue to tokenize indentation changes.  I don't know if the BNF change would
be easy or hard; if it's hard, I'm *really* disinclined.

Anyone want to try out trying to define this meaning in BNF using
DEDENT_PARTIAL?  Seeing what it would mean, as a BNF, might make it much easier
to understand its pros and cons.

--- David A. Wheeler