On Nov 12, 2008, at 10:20 PM, Jani Pirkola wrote:
> reX authentication works by xmlrpc calls that are completely outside
>  libsl/libomv. As far as I understood, reX has only ever changed libsl
>  due to a few (deprecated) binary packets (media urls & sky box info)

also there was a small change in the login procedure (the response from
server was modified about a year ago to overcome a NAT issue)

but right, the authentication is separate. so the question is how it
and starting a session with a rex sim is tied together when using
libomv. i'll be at the Admino office tomorrow and will go through this
with someone who knows, to understand whether it could result in a
sensible patch to libomv.

am thinking that if the rex auth stuff is implemented in some kind of a
module, it /might/ be nice that libomv could use that for
authentication when logging into Rex, so it would be transparent for
some basic bot or other client that uses libomv whether it's logging
into SL / vanilla OpenSim or Rex. if there is e.g. a parameters file
for such an application with the address of the target system and login
credentials, it could support a syntax that differentiated the
authentication mode, based on which the library could select the
appropriate procedure.

i guess the other option is that libomv apps that want to support Rex
would first use the authentication system directly themselves, and then
pass the information from there to libomv. so the question is whether
that is seen as good enough, or would hiding the differing procedure
under the hood of libomv be better. i expect to learn that tomorrow :)

> Jani

~Toni