On Dec 16, 2008, at 7:10 PM, Peter Quirk wrote:
> Can you elaborate on the porting problems of Ogre to .NET? I see there

i don't know what probs exactly Jeroen was referring to,

> is a now a Mogre project to replace OgreDotNet. Are there problems
> with Mogre too?

but Mogre has existed for quite a long time (at least 2 years, dunno if
more) and has worked well for us in game prototyping where have had a
.net & windows dependency for another reason.

afaik the problem openviewer people had with it was that it's windows
only, dunno what stops it from running on Mono if that's really the
case. that's why they worked on ogredotnet instead of mogre, before
switching away from .net to python-ogre (they use libomv over the
python.net bridge which allows you to use .net libs from cpython).

the difference is that mogre is managed, whereas ogredotnet is afaik
not (but the openviewer guys said that using an unmanaged ogre from c#
is not that bad, i don't have personal experience though).

> Just interested to know as I haven't done any Ogre programming yet but
> was considering doing some in C#.

if you're on windows and like c# & .net Mogre is fine for that, the
ogre api is nicely exposed there with .net properties etc, using a
managed version is pleasant and we've had no stability nor other probs
either. funnily enough our used-to-be c# codebase has turned out to be
increasinly ironpython during the development once i embedded the
interpreter first just for quick addition of a debug console, and the
.net dependency is now gone so we'll probably go to python-ogre
ourselves. one benefit there is having all the physics libs etc nicely
wrapped and at hand.

> -- Peter

~Toni

this list: http://groups.google.com/group/realxtend