Hi,

a quick note - more info coming next week (year!), when the final
release is targeted too. You can use the release candidate to test if it
works for you, and report probs. Grab 0.4.0-RC3 from the usual place,
http://code.google.com/p/realxtend-naali/downloads/list

Partial changelog, to be updated, at
http://wiki.realxtend.org/index.php/Getting_Started_with_Naali#Version_0.4_.28Under_construction.29

Biggest new thing is the inclusion of the UiExternalModule and
corresponding changes from studio Enne in Spain -- made independently of
the other dev here in Oulu. We haven't even seen the guys, except on
irc, but are happy that the code appeared on github :) Enne made the
work for their needs on their own, but it's very useful generally too.

In practice that shows so that when you open any Naali GUI window like
inventory or dotsceneupload, you can also drag it outside the main Ogre
window -- must have for dual screen setups. There's also docking so that
when you drag the windows to the borders of the main window, they dock
to a panel there .. and if you drag multiple, they go in their own tabs
there.

We configured this now for the official release so that the old special
top-left round menu from earlier Naali releases is still used. In Enne
build/config there is a normal application menubar, and a normal button
toolbar. Which menu style to use is configurable in .ini files now. We
felt that the old Naali style is more suitable for an end user viewer,
has less GUI areas hiding the 3d view. Enne also has the tool menus only
in the config for authors, end user builds have it disabled. But the
official Naali release is a bit mixed case, 'cause it is for end user
viewing but also for authoring. Feedback on which way is preferred is
welcome -- a major reason for this release is getting feedback on how
the UI works.

Kudos to Matti Kuonanoja for working on the Enne integrations and
working on the UI codes to get them to the way we wanted! And for making
the release in general.

Besides the GUI work, Enne also contributed a text-to-speech synthesis
module, using the Festival library. Some voices and languages are
bundled by default in the release, so the download size grew.

For the final release, we are considering making minimal & full
packages .. minimal might go down to 50MB download if it doesn't have
Telepathy for XMPP chat & video conferencing (which brings ffmpeg and
lots of gnome libs), and full would be >130MB with more text-to-speech
voices. Feedback on the usefulness of such different packages is welcome
too. I know in some places ppl have 100MB home connections so it doesn't
matter, but in other places on Earth even a 10MB download can take long.
For later an add-on install system for optional stuff might be nice, but
we don't have it and there are not *that* many modules either (yet).

~Toni