Hi,

we had a semiofficial(*) realXtend association board meeting yesterday, mostly
to discuss and organize further planning on development roadmap for the new
year.

My full notes are on-line, main point summarized here: We decided to plan work
on two fronts, creation tools and pipelines coming as a new primary focus. The
other area is the tech platform & engines topic which was already worked on a
lot last already (the realXtend roadmap doc from last spring discusses the
three areas there, i.e. current Tundra, browser based clients and the Mobile
Tundra unified light client idea).

For the creation tools and pipeline we agreed to gather wishes, requirements
and development proposals and meet again on Thursday next week (17th)  to put
together a plan. Ludocraft made one report on this already ages ago, they’ll
check if parts of it are still valid. Francois will talk with Matteo and
Francois from Spinningwire and ENER labs. Adminotech has some concrete needs, I
think largely coming from VW use in education. I think Evocons at least can
tell what they need in their work with the building industry.

You, anyone, can also use this chance to inform the planning: what would you
need to be able to create applications, worlds or whatever with realXtend
better, or is that even a bottleneck for you now? Even vague ideas are welcome
but the more concrete a plan the better of course.

Some things discussed in the meeting: more example assets for e.g. use of
different materials / options of the SuperShader, creating a new shader
library. Better scene/ec editor with grouping etc. A question: is tighter
Blender integration, for example with live material preview with a Tundra
window as demonstrated by blender2ogre, a good way to author or is something
else better?

The full notes with some additional points are in
https://docs.google.com/document/d/1IqS7Z9WUy_7jt753oSnt3HE0ISQXhT4zstP71A_6FKY/edit
 (not too structured, sorry).

I think we can use this mailing list / google group to gather ideas and
discuss, but am also interested in more structured ways. For example
getsatisfaction.com has seemed nice for working on feature requests, I think I
saw Kitely using that long ago and tested creating a realXtend account there
too, but I don't have any real experience on using that or any other similar
service. Github issues serve well for actual todo items and feature wishes too
but I don’t think it suits this kind of requirements elicitation. Am open for
suggestions, either here or privately.

Finally, I’d like to explain a bit the rationale for the focus on creation
tools as how the common interest focused there surprised me. I have earlier
thought that there is a big divide between a)professional creators and b)
supporting easy end user content creation. Basic realXtend offering, e.g. the
Tundra SDK and the little WebGL and Flash clients, target professional creators
-- people who are comfortable with normal 3d modeling and programming etc. More
Second Life or Facebook style end user creation are implemented in custom
applications, for example the TOY content tools which are a now a part of the
Meshmoon offering, Cyberslide where you can just create a scene from your
Powerpoint slides, or Ludocraft’s sandbox. But yesterday the common
understanding was that there are many things that we could do to help both
professional creators and services with user created content. Ease of creation
is of utmost importance in professional use as well as it of course affects
both the quality and especially the cost duration of projects. Also we figured
that work on creation tools is relevant in any case, no matter whether we end
up using Ogre, some other native engine, or WebGL more in the future.

so here’s a starting point for the year!

~Toni

(*) not everyone in the board could participate yesterday, so we postponed some
administrative bureaucracy for a later meeting and focused on the dev planning
work