On Wed, 2013-01-09 at 10:22 -0500, Peter C wrote:
> Just a few suggestions / things to note.

Thanks - quick comments:

> 1. Even if the primary intent is not games, it would be wise to
> develop with the same performance mindset of a game engine. Long term
> viability as a platform requires keeping up with tech.

We certainly keep that up -- both Ludocraft and Playsign are games
companies, the requirements from us (e.g. Ludo's old creation tool doc,
the mobile tundra plan etc) are largely from games dev perspective).

Sometimes it is more difficult for us to get a good understanding of the
*other* requirements, other apps besides games :)

If you are referring to the remark in the google doc, it tries to say
that reX is essentially about *networked multiplayer games* (or other
multiuser apps) out of the box, is inherently networked, whereas e.g.
Unity3D was originally for single player games (though has many mature
ways to do networking nowadays with 3rd party addons and has basics
builtin too).

> 2. It might be wise to try porting ogitor to run inside realXtend. If
> nothing else make an exporter from ogitor to tundra. It may also be
> wise to look at how torque has their dcc set up.

Yes we looked at Ogitor back in the early days when considering options,
I was repeatedly showing it to the guys in sprint meetings etc .. and
read some of their code when considering editing things in Naali/Tundra
etc.

Both Tundra and Ogitor support the old simple Ogre dotscene format so
they might be interoperable already, i.e. you might be able to import
Ogitor authored scenes to Tundra. When I tried dotscene things in Ogitor
0.3 some 2-3(?) years ago, though, got only some crash then, dunno about
the status of dotscene vs. their own format there -- certainly worth a
new look, it always has seemed like a good project.

> 3. It may be a good idea to look at porting torques functionality to
> tundra. I was recently doing research on torque, and they have a
> massive community, but their architecture is really bad. Don't count
> out game developers as a possible audience. If you were to outreach to
> game developers, and they were to get involved in improving the game
> engine side of things, it would benefit the academic side too. Games
> tend to be one of the biggest driving forces of technology.

Yes, I actually tested it for some reason last year a little and thought
there were nice things, certainly also worth more study.

Scripting / Logic authoring has been my pet peeve for long, and still
kind of sold with the Scratch design for very simple things at least
(for kids and non-programmers), and both Google Blockly and Waterbear
would seem to allow it nicely for Tundra-JS.

Do you have some things in specific in mind about Torque, does it cover
everything a bit like Unity, dealing with assets etc? I'm recalling the
game maker things with events and states and something for logic etc,
hopefully have time for a study soon enough (or someone else has).

~Toni