spoke too soon, here the first and fourth inserts work

insertrecs: func [] [
        insert db-port [ {insert into reboltest (fname ) values
("GRAHAM" )} ]

        firstname: "Joe" dob: 10-Dec-1950
        insert db-port [ {insert into reboltest (fname, birthday)
values (?, ?)} firstname dob ]

        firstname: "Josephine           " dob: 10-Dec-1940
        insert db-port [ {insert into reboltest (fname, birthday)
values (?, ?)} firstname dob ]

        insert db-port [ {insert into reboltest (fname, birthday)
values ("Allen", ?)}  to-date "31-Dec-1957" ]
]

but where I pass the fname as a variable, I get scrambed
data back.

--
Graham Chiu