A bit late to this discussion.

> I mainly wonder about speed, because using an interpreted language
> will always give some penalty wrt native DBMS. Would the greater
> simplicity of the REBOL approach justify such a penalty, in your
> opinion?

I think such an approach could carve out its own niche applications.
Applications upgrading to or requiring blistering speed would need to
consider alternatives as they do now (I mean that you always have to pick
your solutions according to your requirements).

A really really big plus for this project would be that it would stress test
Rebol for reliability and stability.

If you do it, I'd love it. Especially with the functionality already
discussed.

Brett.