What I typically do is just change the system object to conform to a default
that I can work with through my layouts.  For example the edge object is not
defined within the Text-list style.  Therefore, I just add the default face
edge to the text-list such as:

system/view/vid/vid-styles/text-list/edge: make object! [
        color: 200.200.200
        image: none
        effect: none
        size: 2x2
]

now I can work with text-list more easily throughout all the remaining
layouts I define such as:

view layout [text-list with [edge/color: red]]

Paul Tretter