Paul Tretter wrote:

>What I typically do is just change the system object to conform to a default
>that I can work with through my layouts.  For example the edge object is not
>defined within the Text-list style.  Therefore, I just add the default face
>edge to the text-list such as:
>
>system/view/vid/vid-styles/text-list/edge: make object! [
>        color: 200.200.200
>        image: none
>        effect: none
>        size: 2x2
>]
>
>now I can work with text-list more easily throughout all the remaining
>layouts I define such as:
>
>view layout [text-list with [edge/color: red]]

well, now you can use edge directly, but still - try to delete 'with
block - and you will see that your global setting was influenced, as all
further text-list will have red edge no matter if you specify it or not
... and that is not correct behavior imo ....

btw: could 'make-face help to make our life easier?

->> help make-face
USAGE:
    MAKE-FACE style /styles ss /clone /size wh /spec blk /offset xy

     Make a face from a given style name or example face.
     MAKE-FACE is a function value.

ARGUMENTS:
     style -- A name or a face (Type: word object)

REFINEMENTS:
     /styles
         ss -- Stylesheet (Type: any)
     /clone -- Copy all primary facets
     /size
         wh -- Size of face (Type: pair)
     /spec
         blk -- Spec block (Type: block)
     /offset
         xy -- Offset of face (Type: pair))

PS: and guys ... try to delete at least few lines of text you are not
quoting directly :-)

-pekr-