Hi Rod,

> There are many advantages to a row/col based design.  I don't mean to
> preclude it but I want to also do nested blocks or complex objects or even
> simple name:value pairs.

Now i realize that my Rebol databases are made of nested blocks of variable
length. It is not clear to me how to convert them in a row/column scheme. Any
ideas?

> Modular is good and having different functions that match the task in
> complexity also sounds good.  This is why I want to start at the bottom -
> the interaction with a binary file.  Then, on top of that we could build
> functions to manage rows and columns, or objects, or name:value pairs
> and so on.

Now i understand your point of view. Are you sure it can be done without any
data structure representation?

> You would be right at home with the Pick/UniVerse database system
> then.  It is multi-dimensional in nature.  I am however just an relational
> db guy who wants more options than the traditional ones provide.  I also
> want it all to be simpler as well.  (Can you say dreamer? :-))

Dreams are free. :-)

---
Ciao
Romano