Hi Joe:
* Joel Neely <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> [020313 05:25]:
> Hi, Tim,
>
> Tim Johnson wrote:
> >
> > To advocate for Chris here, I believe that emacs is an easier
> > start than vim...
> >

> To be fair, I must admit that I've purchased the O'Reilly book
> on GNU Emacs and plan to start (again) trying it out for some
> things.

  I have both Learning GNU Emacs and Writing GNU Emacs Extensions.
  I think the elisp is a lot like rebol.

> However, I've never understood why some folks think
>
>     control-x control-f <filename>

  I use some emacs-style keymaps on vim.

> is easier than
>
>     :e <filename>
>
> to open a file, or why
>
>     control-b  control-n  control-p  control-f

  I use <C-H><C-L><C-O> to turn off search highlights

> are easier than
>
>     h j k l
>
> to move left, down, up, and right, respectively.
>
> When I made the conscious decision years ago to learn vi
> instead of emacs, it was solely for the pragmatic reason that

  I flipped a coin (sort of) heads: emacs, tails: vim.
  Came up tails :>)

--
Tim Johnson <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
      http://www.johnsons-web.com