Quoting Gregg Irwin <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>:

Hello Gregg,

Well your remark is okay, still :-) I.E. a repeat, foreach or an forskip..etc..
also uses a variable automaticly defined using the function.... okay
these are comtrolled! Then again i think it indeed would make life
even more easier is there was a setting that allows the use of
undefined/auto-defined variables in rebol for smaler scripts.

Thanks for the reply!

(R)egards,
Norman.

> Hi Norman,
>
> << I would expect that a variable not defined could automaticly
> be assigned. ie -> >>
>
> It certainly could be, but REBOL isn't designed to do it (though I'm sure
> they could change it if they wanted to). While that kind of thing can be
> helpful in building very small scripts, it's also hard to find bugs that
> can
> come from that behavior. E.g. you type a name incorrectly but REBOL doesn't
> warn you, and creates the new word silently. Now your code "runs" but
> doesn't work correctly. REBOL actually goes further toward "intelligence"
> than any other language I know in many ways. By that I mean it works in
> such
> a way that makes your life easier, and works as expected. I often find when
> I have a problem and start debugging it, by the time I've eliminated half
> the code, it works correctly. I just try to make it much too hard. REBOL
> almost always provides a simple solution. Often times the people on the ML
> will tell me about a built-in function that does what I want already, or
> will show me how to do something with 3 or 4 words that I wrote 20 lines of
> code to do.
>
> Just my 2c.
>
> --Gregg

> subject, without the quotes.

-- dinner/conversation: "How do you eat your Rebol in the morning?"