Carl,

I love REBOL, and I love XML.  Well, ok...so my paycheques come in
large part from XML; hence, maybe there's a difference.

I'm sorta feeling like your email is comparing a web protocol with a
programming language.  It feels like apples and oranges.

REBOL is good because it has networking built-in, thus I don't have to
hand-code HTTP -- I can just do a read http://...
HTTP remains a good and successful protocol, and REBOL is a great
language.

You're not comparing SOAP/XML to REBOL though, are you?  That wouldn't
seem to be a fruitful exercise.  One is a protocol and
meta-markup-language, and the other is a programming language.  They're
both good at what they do.

Ok, so maybe your point is that creating functions like
Do-Google-Search remove the need to hand-code the SOAP/XML protocol?
Ok, that's good, and probably self-evident.  That's what we use
programming languages for -- to construct reusable bits of code that do
heavy-lifting on our behalf.

Presumably that a C++ or Java function like doGoogleSearch(...) would
illustrate your point equally well?

Sorry if I've completely missed the gist of your email.  Maybe I need
another cup of coffee to clear my head.

Gavin.

--
  Gavin McKenzie