Hi, first you can complain about anything in MDP you want :-)) I take it
sportily.

> I completely agree with your last comment there -- it's a very civilised way
> of developing code. We (the potential users) can request features or debate
> enhancements. But the developer (Robert in this case) has the vision for the
> code, and can add features as fits that vision.

Second, I'm really happy about anyone thinking for new features etc. it might
take some time to get them implemented. The hardest part is to keep focused on
the big picture (vision). Some features are very specific and I try to tranform
them to a more general/generic concept so that most of you can use it and gain
value out of them.

> And, of course, the beauty of a language like Rebol is that us users can
> tweak the code to fit our needs -- my version of MDP has a couple of such
> tweaks that I've passed to Robert; he's free to incorporate them in the base
> code or not.

That's right. And sending me the code of your enhancements makes it easier for
me to get the change integrated :-)). And I hope I don't miss anything from you.
I'm using the bug-reporter on my IOS server to keep track of everything. So, I
hope I got included all your change requests in the current version :-|

> On the specific point about interpreting URLs I'm still with Robert....

Thanks.

> MDP is a "lightweight" mark-up language (light compared to HTML or XML), and
> all mark-ups require some indicator to distinguish them from plain content.

Yep. And if possible without a lot of exception handling. This makes the code
(parser) and sometimes the emitter non-maintainable. I rewrote MDP because I
reached such a state. The new code is much cleaner and follows the same concept
whereevery possible. It's not perfect yet but good enough.

> Maybe an industrial-strength version of MDP will have a user-call function --
> add your own function at this point to post-process the MDP output. URL
> highlighting would be an obvious add-on here for anyone who wants it.

This should be already possible. You can hook into MDP at several levels:

1.) Replace a parser rule and emit an existing intermediate format or a new one.
2.) Replace the emitting function with something you like.
3.) Implement an emitting function for the new intermediat command.

The intermediate format should be quite obvious. At the end there is a commented
line, just  uncomment to see the stack. Robert