Hi Ken,

On Tuesday, August 20, 2002, 6:31:39 AM, you wrote:

KBC> I get several seconds of nothing, then Cannot connect to (whatever).

As  I  said,  that  port  is usally closed. If you have control on
those  machines,  you  can turn the echo service on (but beware of
security  risks  -  I'd  rather  suggest  to write a little server
script that answers with "I'm here" to everyone that connects...).
Otherwise,  you  can use any other service the machine provides to
discover if it is up or not.

Anyway, asking questions never hurts, so don't feel sorry. :-)

Regards,
   Gabriele.
--
Gabriele Santilli <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>  --  REBOL Programmer
Amigan -- AGI L'Aquila -- REB: http://web.tiscali.it/rebol/index.r