On 13-Sep-02, Carl Read wrote:
> On 12-Sep-02, Jason Cunliffe wrote:

>>> Hmmm.  What are three dots supposed to give? ...

>> .../  = ../../    = grandparent

>> ..../ = ../../../ = great grandparent

>> etc

>> If you are too close to root / you'll get an error.

> Hmmm.  It looks like REBOL's behaviour with this is very
> OS-dependant...

>>> what-dir
> == %/Dev/View/
>>> change-dir %.../
> ** Access Error: Cannot open /Dev/View/.../
> ** Near: change-dir %.../
>>> what-dir
> == %/Dev/View/
>>> change-dir %../../
> == %/

> That's Amiga again.  As someone requested, what happens with Linux?

Thinking more about this, I'd say REBOL decides the %.../ is not a
valid attempt according to REBOL syntax to access a parent directory
and so gives it to the OS to sort out, the OS either making sense of
it or returning an error, which REBOL reports.

Moral of the story - only use %../ %../../../ etc. in your REBOL
scripts as a way of accessing parent directories.

--
Carl Read