Hi Gabriele,

> RPT> BTW, that tag? is interesting for me: formed tag string are an
exception in
> RPT> the any-string group.
>
> IIRC  in  older  versions  if you inserted a tag into a string you
> didn't  get  the  tag  delimiters (only the content of the tag was
> inserted). So maybe that's a leftover from older versions.

It is a "must" in the actual version: the length? of tag exclude "<>" chars,
but form do not exclude them.  Is the only exception in the any-string domain:

length? #a ;== 1
length? form #a;== 1
length? %a;== 1
length? form %a;== 1
length? <a>;== 1
length? form <a>;== 3

Replace must know the length of the formed version.

And: yes writing an full optimized version of replace is not a trivial task.

---
Ciao
Romano