On 20-Oct-03, Brett Handley wrote:

> As Max wrote:
>> I love philosophy so, nothing here is personal... :-)

>> Volker suggested:
>>> how about extending path syntax?
>>> a/5:10

>> How about these two alternatives:
>>         a/5-10
>>         a/5..10
>> ?
>> Both use reasonably common indicators which mean "missing
>> something out,
>> which is very obvious".

> Paths are a series of values - each value in the series having a
> datatype.

> So is a/5..10 one path of length two - the second value (5..10)
> being a new datatype? Something like a pair?

Curiously, 5..10 is already a valid datatype...

>> 5..10
== 5.0.10

5-10 isn't though...

>> 5-10
** Syntax Error: Invalid date -- 5-10
** Near: (line 1) 5-10

If a new datatype, it'd be called range! I guess.  But how to indicate
first or last?  Maybe...

    5-10
    *-10
    5-*

or some alternative to an asterix, though not a colon, as it'd be much
too confusing in a path.

--
Carl Read