* "Robert M. Münch" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> [040210 03:20]:

> On Sun, 8 Feb 2004 09:36:10 -0900, Tim Johnson <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
> wrote:
>
> >   It is not just possible, but is probable, that a 'tipping point'
> >   will be reached that will cause a sharp spike in increased linux
> >   use. If there is not an 'open source' rebol, rebol will lose out.
>
> Hi, I never undestand what the problem is? What's the problem with Rebol
> not being open-source? It doesn't cost hundred-of-thousands of $s to use.
> So if you are doing things that will create revenue, you can afford a
> license, if not use the free interpreter.
>
> If we would talk about Oracle database systems here, I would agree to do
> cost-cutting.
>
> But, all those open-source demagogues, if you can show-up with a
> business-model that let RT make some money from their work, I will be
> quite but otherwise it's just a techie POV with no business know-how
> behind it.
>
> And, BTW: Those not caring about Rebol because not being open-source have
> a problem ;-)
>
> >   Note: this is my opinion, and I don't wish to be involved in
> >   or initiate an 'OS war'.
>
> Well, why not? If someone can tell me a really benefit Rebol being
> open-source I might change my POV. Sorry, if this sound a bit harsh here,
> but only moaning without showing a solution is not that professional.

 By now you've probably read my thoughts about 'open architecture' as
 a opposed to 'open source'. And I'm personally not a real 'open source'
 fanatic. I'm more interested in resources than source code.

 In fact, as a long-time C programmer, I'm afraid that if I saw any
 of Carl's code, it would just make me feel stoopid. :-)
 cheers
 tim

--
Tim Johnson <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>