Hi Robert,

 --- ""Robert_M._Münch""
<[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote: >
> On Tue, 10 Feb 2004 17:19:15 +0000 (GMT), Ged Byrne
> <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
> wrote:
>
> > What benefits could Rebol/Core gain from cross
> > fertilisation with other open source projects like
> > OCAML and PLTScheme?
>
> I don't know. We can create a Rebol standard library
> as well. The guys
>  from Rebol.org are doing a very good job to setup a
> CPAN like model.
>
> > RT are already giving away REBOL/Core, so it
> doesn't
> > make them money.
>
> Which is generous I think.

Generous, yes, but I think it also makes sound
commercial sense as well.

> > The product they do sell, such as the SDK or IOS
> could only benefit from
> > an enhanced
> > core.
>
> No, I don't agree. These can only benefit from
> higher sales numbers. It's
> a business questions, not a technical one. Robert
Sorry.  What I mean is that an improved technical core
could only be beneficial for the products built upon
it.  I did not mean that this was the only way
possible.

Sales numbers would be great too.

I've been spending sometime getting REBOL to work on
my upcoming website and it takes a while to realise
why things are done the way they are.  I think that
this has altered my perspective a little.  Open source
languages tend to lean towards 'least suprise' rather
than internal consistancy.

Perhaps a strict control of the core really is
necessary in order to truly innovate.  I'm giving it
some thought.