Hi Maxim,

Thanks for your prompt answer !

> the real thing is ... do you really need to put things in the block form... in this
> case, I'm pretty sure the answer is no.

You're right but it was only a question - I thought that may be REBOL would let the
programmer escape the normal way of doing things
when necessary and even specify other characters ("") to use as a replacement for the
normal REBOL block delimiters [ ] for
enclosing the full expression to parse.

Something like in the following:

input-expr: [9/5 * 100 + 32]

parse/no-block-eval  input-expr rules     or

parse/block-to-string input-expr rules     or any other suggestion ... in fact

In my view it would a bit different from the current parse/all refinement where we can
specify other delimiters for the splitting of
tokens when scanning the input expression. Here it looks more like a simple cosmetic
addition but it would have the effect of being
able to specify the input expression from a REBOL block (which is so natural) instead
of using a string.

The first natural way I could see it is to ask PARSE to not take into account its
normal eval mode so it could nom more complain
when encountering ill-formed datatypes. The simplest way to let PARSE do this would be
to ask him to internally replace the ending
[] by "" and continue its normal life using all its current knowledge. No more frills.
Even simpler would be to let him
automatically detect the presence of [] instead of "" but as I suppose some scripts
already take the normal REBOL way of doing
things into account and use it in their own way - it would not be very safe to do
this, be it only for compatibility reason.

After all this is simply a cosmetic suggestion to let PARSE be itself more REBOLish in
some way, that is even for just being able to
cope with this kind of expression - at least this is my own view of the subject and I
know PARSE can be modified relatively easily
by Carl it this is really needed.

It's also suggested here more for discussion of the global impacts on adding such a
mechanism for PARSE and may be suggest the
better way to handle this if PARSE had to be changed to handle this situation in a
future release.

Consider this to be on my personal wish list and asking others their POV on the
question!

Regards,
Gerard