Hi, I was wrong about send/only,
but now I have a comment about how you made the header.
You should be sure that your To: field block is reduced.
So check that after making the header, The To: field
isn't still just an unreduced block with 'recipient1
in it.
Look:

>> header: make system/standard/email [To: [recipient1]]
>> ?? header
header:
make object! [
    To: [recipient1]    ;;;; <<<---- :-(
    CC: none
    BCC: none
    From: none
    Date: none
    Subject: none
    Content: none
]

In the above console session, I had not even set 'recipient1
yet, and make had no complaint about it!
It should be:

        header: make system/standard/email [To: reduce [recipient1]]

Now it correctly goes looking for the value of 'recipient1.

A more powerful way of catching errors:

        either error? set/any 'err try [
                ; your code
        ][
                ; An error happened. Now err is an error! object.
                print mold disarm err
        ][
                ; everything went ok
        ]