Hi Ladislav,

due to the fact that several experienced people (like you) told me that it
works fine w/o an environment variable, I decided to deinstall the whole
REBOL stuff, including a clean-up of the registry and the environment vars.
When I had the problems some time ago, I also had deleted the "working
directory" in the properties of my REBOL desktop item. I now have restored
it.

Having done all that, I reinstalled the regular REBOL/View release, which
works fine and obviously loads the user.r (I've got a print of what-dir in
it).

After that I replaced the REBOL.EXE with the latest beta and voila that
works fine as well and also loads user.r!!!!

Now I'm baffled, since I really have tried everything except this total
cleanup and reinstall. But'I'm very glad :-))

I'm sorry to have bothered you all with a problem that now seems not to
exist :-(
Thanks to all of you who pointed me in the right direction!!

   Arie van Wingerden
http://home.zonnet.nl/rebolution/