Hi Susan,

Thank you for your report. Here is the article. The Australian media,
other than the ABC, hasn't bothered to mention it. Maybe tomorrow ...

BBC NEWS
Sunday, 3 December, 2000, 05:31 GMT
  Mass march for
  aborigines [sic]

  The UN has expressed concern over the
  treatment of aborigines [sic]
  By Red Harrison in Sydney

  Thousands of people in Australia have been
  marching through the cities of Melbourne
  and Perth in a symbolic gesture of support
  for the country's aborigines. [sic]

  In Melbourne, an estimated 200,000 people
  waving banners, balloons and coloured flags
  blocked the heart of the city for hours.

  Led by an array of
  political, indigenous
  and civic leaders as
  well as
  representatives of
  churches, trade
  unions, students and
  ethnic groups, the
  march indicated what
  aboriginal [sic] leaders say
  is overwhelming
  support for a treaty
  between black and
  white Australia which
  recognises and apologises for the injustices
  of the past.

  In October, international aid organisation
  Oxfam criticised Australia for failing to
  protect the basic rights of indigenous
  Australians.

  The report said
  Australia was the only
  country in the world
  with a constitution
  that allows racial
  discrimination.

  In another attack in
  July, Australia was
  criticised for its
  treatment of
  Aborigines by a UN Human Rights
  Committee.

  The committee
  expressed concern at
  the marginalisation
  and discrimination
  suffered by
  Aborigines in
  Australian society.

  Geoffrey Clark,
  chairman of the
  government's senior
  aboriginal [sic] authority,
  says marchers should
  remember this day for
  the rest of their lives.

  "It's something that as a small child you'll
  remember - to be able to walk down the
  street with your family.

  "And one day you'll sit back and reflect as to
  why and the reasons behind that and you'll
  realise that you're part of history, you're
  part of a turning point in this history of this
  country, where we're now forged together
  as a united nation."

  Among the political leaders from all parties,
  the Prime Minister, John Howard, was
  notably absent.

  Mr Howard refuses to apologise to
  aborigines [sic] for events that happened before
  he was born.