just compare the reaction to bonner's death to that of don dunstan.
bonner is being lauded because he was a liberal. all this crap like brendan
nelson's about
>      the former Liberal Senator provided a ``model of political participation and
>parliamentary behaviour to which we should
>      all aspire''.
is racist and patronising. and ironic given bonner saying that the reason he
joined the libs was because bill hayden tried to railroad him into labor.
and to suggest that
>      a bust, statue or some other kind of memorial to the late senator would do
>      much for the cause of reconciliation.
is even more patronising. no, make that *stupid.
with dunstan the PM and other libs have been far more circumspect with their
praise. I would suggest that this is because don was a real advocate for
aboriginal people, one who called a spade a spade.
also don was bisexual and that still doesn't go down well. i have been
continually sickened to read in the various news reports constant references to
his blood family surviving don but his partner of the past few years, steven
cheung, the one who has actually cared for him 24/7, completely ignored.
during mardi gras month the treatment of cheung is a sharp reminder of how far
we have to come to secure equality for gay and lesbian australains. it is also a
deep insult to the memory of dunstan.

paul

--
®  http://www.rainbow.net.au/~canning