ALICE SPRINGS JAIL

I am back in Tennant Creek after a visit to Alice Springs,
where i had a look from the outside at the new jail. Lots of
razor wire. I got a whiff of lots of sterile and mindless
routine with inmates subject to behaviour modification to fit
them to the institution and not vice versa.

I ran into some Tennant Creek women wanted to visit their
relatives in the new jail - 20 kms out of town. They couldn't
afford the bus. We went out on Sunday, but weren't allowed in
because the women had been out the day before. One visit per
week only allowed. The guard who spoke with me said he was
from South Australia and he couldn't understand it either. It
meant the women, who wanted to return to Tennant Creek (500
kms), had to wait to next weekend.

They were out of money until Thursday, no food and staying in
a town camp where there were problems with other people. It is
bitterly cold in Alice at the moment (minimum of minus -1
while i was there) and a cold wind blows in the morning - as
they face a long walk into town from the camp to fine out just
how they will eat that day.

A friend of mine had some meat for them, and i helped to the
extent i could - which isn't much. A car trip here, some bread
and fruit and small change.

Visiting relatives in these jails places additional strains
and stresses on people who live below the poverty line as it
is.

>From the little i could see from outside the jail, lots of
black faces amongst the inmates. There is most certainly a
high degree of "you're born criminal if you are born
Aboriginal" here. Out of circulation and out of sight.

And meanwhile, in downtown Alice, there is a tourist bonanza
going on based almost solely on the marketing of Aboriginal
arts and culture. Frequent police patrols.

I doubt if we could encourage the average tourist to make a
visit to the NT jails. They are places which have a force
field of their own and which the average person instinctively
seeks to avoid.

But we may be able to publicise them - and somehow penetrate
through the comfort zone of tourist mentality so that they at
least know that they are supporting an oppressive regime when
they buy the tourist image of the Territory.

NT ELECTIONS

No more news about either the date for the by-elections or
talk of a general election. On the latter front, the new Chief
Minister Denis Burke is dealing with the problem of having the
former Chief Minister (Shane Stone) on his backbench - and as
of today Stone is also the President of the Australia wide
Liberal Party.

Having a general election is one way for Burke to get rid of
Stone - Burke has said that he is most uncomfortable with the
present situation re Stone, and Stone has said he won't stand
in the next election (but won't resign just yet).

I gather part of the problem for Burke's discomfort is that it
shatters the illusion that the Country-Liberal Party
represents people in the Northern Territory by graphicly
demonstrating that it is driven by a party alliance from
outside the Territory (and ultimately from outside of
Australia in my opinion) - with the 'backbencher' as the
powerful party boss calling the shots to the front bench.

Oh, and they beat their chests continually about being
"Territorians" - proudly independent! Those Territorians
affiliated with the major political parties are hollow at the
core, unfortunately.

Yesterday was Territory Day - 21 years of self-government.
21 - time to show some maturity then.

LOBBY PROFESSIONAL POLITICIANS - RETAIN PEOPLES PERSPECTIVE

Good to see that the message went off to Bob Brown. We need to
really grow this peoples movement campaign if we are to be
effective. And getting professional politicians onside is part
of that, in my opinion, but only part of it. The caring part
of life remains at the level of people, and not at the level
of  professional politicians. Until we come up with a new
paradigm life-design, we do need them though.

Professionals are soon swept off their feet by sophisticated
smooth operators and can lose the peoples perspective. Part of
our job (i reckon) is to ensure that our elected
representatives put people first. Keep the professionals and
the political process itself well earthed.

LOBBY SENATOR ADEN RIDGEWAY

Senator Aden Ridgeway with the Democrats should also be part
of it, since my guess is a lot of other people will take their
lead from his position on indigenous matters. In this respect,
he should become at least as influential as Bob Brown.

He will be soon over worked though (since really a whole form
of government is required for First Peoples to deal with lifes
problems and not just one Senator) - but it does mean that we
need to get in quick to lobby him. If he could be encouraged
to make Mandatory Sentencing in the NT one of his special
concerns, that would be good strategy.

NEXT YEAR FOCUS?

We should also consider the APEC meeting in Darwin next year
as a means of raising awareness about the mandatory sentencing
laws if they haven't changed by then. I don't know when they
are timed for, but if it is before the Games that would make
for good timing.

ALSO - GARETH

Gareth Evans is presenting campaigning around the world for a
position at the Head of UNESCO - we could use some
international support from other groups to pop up asking
questing about the NT mandatory sentencing legislation every
time he puts on his display about how wonderfully suited for
the position an Australian - such as his own modest but very
able self - is.

NOTE CALIFORNIA AND JAPAN

Also note the bad publicity Australia has received by the
wrongheaded decision to exclude other people from the opening
event of the Games. Some publicity to the media in these
countries about the backside of Australian life - as typified
by mandatory sentencing in the NT - would also be timely
(since they are presently receptive).

But it is too much for me to organise. We need more active
hands on deck to take charge of these lines of activity and to
follow them up with others via the internet. Like a sort of
chain reaction.

A peoples movement must move outwards reaching other people,
who become actively involved. There can be no leader - just
people who move by activating their own core of Being.

Bruce