If the deliberative poll is unrepresentative, then so is every other poll in
the country as the methods of choosing participants are identical - in fact
it was done by one of the major polling companies, Newspoll, I think.

 So if its results are deemed unrepresentative then so are the results of
every other poll that shows people favour direct election and that direct
electionists keep quoting.

The advantage the deliberative poll had was that it actually provided people
with information, allowed them to ask experts from both sides direct
questions, and allowed them to discuss the ideas amongst themselves.  Not
like conventional polling which just asks for a yes or no.  If it's a social
experiment, then it's one with a lot of merit and I'd like to see more of
them.  Why Antony Green would suggest that it being a social experiment
invalidates it is beyond me.   Everything is new at some stage; doesn't mean
its wrong.  Reconciliation is a social experiment.

As to my position being entrenched - in terms of voting Yes on Nov 6, then I
guess it is, though "entrenched" is rather more pejorative than the amount
of discussion I've been willing to be involved in suggests.  But when it
comes to actually preferring a direct election to indirect appointment, then
I'm not entrenched at all and have said from the beginning that I actually
favour direct election is some ways - I just don't happen to think that
voting No is a useful way of getting that result.

Tim