Welcome back Karen

I've been watching the 'Karen' issue for a few weeks now, but have remained
quiet. It is clear to me that your ideas and I guess your sense of self
emerge from what we have come to know as the 'average Australian' through
the words of John Howard or Pauline Hanson. I assume you have heartfelt
dilemmas around what it means to be Australian, the idea of equality etc. as
do many of us. To name you as ignorant or racist is simply to perpetuate
another divide - a divide that allows another history of hate and oppression
to exist. But how do we reconcile these differences?

These differences are based upon particular assumptions, for example your
most recent letter assumes that equality means treating all human beings the
same. I think this is what a lot of 'average Australians' want, to not feel
as if others are getting 'special treatment' or that they are being
disadvantaged. The trouble begins however, with the fact that as different
groups of people we have, and continue to get and dole out, special
treatment. In other words we can't just be treated as equal just because we
are human beings. Women, like yourself, have for so long received lower
wages, until the 70's weren't allowed in front bars of pubs, were expected
to sacrifice their employment opportunities for men and today, it remains,
much harder for some groups of women to achieve in the same ways as men.
This is special treatment, this is not equality based upon you being a human
being. Your humanness is ordered in a hierarchy and attached to it is a
status. The response by people working to change this special treatment is
to create policies and laws that reverse this special treatment -  that
gives those who have been disadvantaged some greater chance at the average
Australian's opportunities. In short some human beings are more equal than
others.

I think that your ideas are important, if frustrating, merely because
Reconciliation is also very much about White Australians coming to terms
with the differences of their ideas. In this sense we all have to let go of
our claim to being 'right' but there comes a point where we are forced to
hold onto what we think is right. To say that there is no wrong or right in
this debate, as you do in your letter, neglects the point that there are
'real' effects to how right and wrong is played out in our culture. This may
be a debate in which you have no investment in being right or wrong, but the
nature of 'truth' in this case can and has had very bad effects for
Indigenous Australians. The idea that we are all equal human beings
regardless of colour, race, gender etc, has meant for many Indigenous
Australians equality through extremely poor health, unacceptably
disproportionate rates of incarceration and clear ongoing discrimination -
see mandatory sentencing.

My question is Karen: why is it so hard for many White Australians to see
critically how difference and equality work? Does White equal blind?

For me, liberal equality is a myth and you would do yourself a huge justice
as a human being and as a woman to try and see this. The idea of equality is
'man-made', made by some who have greater access to the resources that their
equality provides than others. Equality simply, does not mean sameness.

Good luck

BW