Yes, Irene. I think that in this era of Howard's new political correctness,
the immediate and hurtful effects  on Indigenous people of these racist
attacks has been somewhat lost in the attempt to mould reconciliation into a
form acceptable to the opponents of a just reconciliation.

As you say, these opponents of Indigenous rights are attacking Aborigines as
a group in racist terms and are claiming the right to express their opinions
without criticism or being replied to in kind.

When they are questioned or taken to task for their bigoted and racist
statements, they protest they are being unfairly attacked, and say that the
move for reconciliation is only causing division in the community, and
therefore we should forget about it and all get on with being
''Australians".

We must be on guard not to be sucked in by these racist  attempts to
continue the dispossession of our Original people----200years of abuse and
hurt , "attack upon my being and soul"  must end----we must take these
people on whenever they raise their racist heads.

If they are converted ---good . If they are discredited so that others are
not swayed to their racism---good-----but they must not be appeased.

Laurie.

Laurie and Desley Forde   [EMAIL PROTECTED]

Irene Watson wrote.....