Trudy, Laurie et al, I have never tried to hide who I am, nor what I do.  My
emails have a signature block on them that gives the address of the eZine
that I publish - On Line Opinion - and the potted biography there doesn't
hide anything.  I regularly let list members know if I have published
anything of interest to this list, and some have asked to be put on my
regular alert list.  I would  have thought that it was common knowledge
amongst members who I was.

I have never been employed by the Liberal Party, but I have held office in
it at various times.  I ran for State Parliament twice in 1989 and 1992; was
a Federal Young Liberal Vice-President in 1983, and a Vice-President of the
Queensland Liberal Party between 1994 and 1997.  In the last role I chaired
the Campaign Committee and devised much of the strategy that unseated Wayne
Goss in 1995.  I was also the State Campaign Chairman for the Federal
Campaign the following year, and the council campaign the year after that.
I know a little bit about shifting people's votes and their perceptions.

In 1995 I chaired the preselection Committee that preselected Pauline Hanson
as the candidate for Oxley.  In 1996 I was one of a small group of people
that decided she had to go.   During the 1998 State Election I made myself
hugely unpopular with my party by publicly opposing the decision to direct
preferences to One Nation and writing a number of op ed pieces in various
newspapers about the Hanson phenomenon, and how to counteract it.  One of
these pieces was republished in Land Rights Now, produced in Queensland by
FAIRA.

I am not a conservative, Trudy, I define myself as a liberal.  I have always
supported Aboriginal rights.  At one stage in the 80's I worked for then
Senator Kathy Martin.   When in Canberra she would sometimes lend me to her
friend, and mine, Neville Bonner.  There wasn't much that Neville and I
disagreed on in this area, that I recall.

There are other liberals in the Liberal Party, and a lot of us are concerned
about the same issues that concern the other people on this list.
Notwithstanding that for a long time I have been very careful what I post to
this list, knowing that my political affiliation is a minority one in this
group, and that some people would view me with suspicion as a result.  I had
thought that the contribution I had made over time might have allayed some
of those concerns and that I was in a position to be a little more robust in
my contribution.  I hope I am right.

Graham Young